Modern approaches to making music in a collaborative online setting.
My teaching focus reflects 20 years of experience in the music industry as musical director, keyboard player, guitarist, bass player, composer, performer, improviser and producer/mixer/arranger.
As a result, my approach is multi-disciplinary. If you’re interested in beginning or improving the following elements, get in touch using the form below.
- Improvisation/instant composition
- Using and programming synthesisers and soft-synths
- Using DAWs for studio or live application
- Understanding basics of sound – onstage and in the studio
- Orchestration for small to medium-size bands
- Working within other creative disciplines – TV/Film/Theatre/Radio
All lessons are hosted live via zoom. Check out my youtube channel for free video tutorials. (Many of my youtube tutorials are created to answer specific questions from students or to back up material covered in live lessons.)
If you are already working in music and are looking for further professional development, please see / / Advanced Tuition / / below
Are you looking for progression in ANY of the areas below?
(These online sessions are aimed towards the working musician who already has some experience of gigging / touring / recording.)
- Approaches to performance
- Improving your playing
- Exploring other styles
- Working successfully with other musicians
- Using FX pedals live
- Using MIDI
- Using softsynths live and in the studio
- Synthesis (ADSR etc)
- How to use different FX (modulation/delay/distortion etc)
- Midi Sync and Playback Sync
- Playing to Click
- Integrating technology with a live band
- Working with vocalists
- Effective Collaboration with crew
- Building a live keyboard setup
- Designing a live playback rig
- Keeping performances fresh on tour
- Troubleshooting live sound issues
- Chain of communication on tour
- How to run effective rehearsals
- How are production rehearsals different from band rehearsals?
WRITING / RECORDING / MIXING
- Using DAWs
- Compositional techniques and approaches
- Using softsynths
- Mixing with plugins
- Studio workflow
- Writing / Mixing Template
- When and how to learn new skills
- Finding and sustaining work
- Networking – how to do it your way
- Career goals
- Personal projects vs Commercial projects
- Promoting yourself effectively
- Staying true to yourself
Please contact me to enquire about fees.
DBS Certificate available on request.
I am registered with the DBS Update Service in the UK.
Background image courtesy of Georgie Gibbon.